Friday, September 2, 2016

09.02.16

Blended Learning, week two:
Station rotations went smoothly overall. The students proved hardy and adaptable. They remain a source of familiarity and comfort among the uncertainty and risk inherent in adopting our innovative new model.
Not all students completed all stations, however. Most rotated successfully through two substantive pre-AP stations this week. And that's okay with me. I am learning to accept that not all activities will be completed by all students. I'm also learning to adopt a more holistic approach to grading.
The English I PLC has coalesced into a cohesive, supportive, and creative unit.
Success: Today my students asked to work on their Canvas flipped lesson after completing the STAR reading screener.
Challenge: I need a strategy for station design that allows for depth while meeting the required rotation schedule.
Goal: To embrace flexibility.
    

4 comments:

  1. First, I love your blog design! I was trying to think of some clever comment that involved androids and sheep, but I'm just not able. I appreciate your reflections, too. The way students move through stations and which stations they complete could be different each week, and it probably the area of most design flexibility for teachers. I'm thinking your challenge of station design with depth might morph into something more PBL. Lindsay Barber at HHS did something pretty rigorous last week with her PAP. I'd love to get all you PAP teachers collaborating (if we can find/create time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with you, Scott! Although the classroom environment has drastically changed, the students are still their amazing selves! I know we will all continue to work together as we refine and perfect these ever-changing processes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FLEXIBILITY is the key. I find that the more I show my flexibility when things don't work as I planned, the more the kids are becoming flexible as well. It seems that they need flexibility modeled as much as lessons. It definitely a learning curve for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your goal of embracing flexibility. I struggle with that as well. We have to remember that the students will tell us what they need. Holistic scoring is awesome! It is a lifesaver and needed in the ELAR classroom. Way to go Scott! - Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete